Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Design Trends 2011 - Trend #1 Creating Personal Style

Now that everyone is settling in to 2011, the kids are back in school, you’ve returned to work, you’re holiday décor is put away (hopefully) and everyone is getting back into the swing of things you are probably feeling not only a sense of peace but also a little restlessness. For most people the start of a new year means new beginnings, refreshed work-out schedules and meal plans, and a dedication to realigning yourself, whatever that may mean to you…to me that means looking at my home and giving it a fresh new look. So starting today 1-11-11 and continuing on for the next 11 days I will bring to you the latest trends for 2011 in hopes that it jump starts you to energize yourself with your surroundings…make your home a reflection of you and your family!

Trend #1 -
Creating “Personal Style”

As a designer, people always ask me, “What is your style?” and I always answer with, “A little bit of everything…” In 2011 design is pulling away from specific styles like “Rustic”, “Old World”, and “Modern”, and style is becoming much more personalized. Your home shouldn’t look like you went to a furniture store and pointed to a display “room” and said, “I’ll take that whole room!” Your home should consist of treasures collected over time, items handed down, great random finds, and collections from your travels as well as new purchases. The true trick is finding the balance. Like in cooking you need to find the right recipe, a whole house of rustic with one modern acrylic chair just won’t make sense. So mix things up a bit…put your great grandfather’s handmade dining table with modern, upholstered dining chairs.

Additionally, have your home reflect both masculine and feminine elements, don’t alienate anyone. You should have light and dark, old and new, and have it all in equal amounts.

What is your “personal style”?

2 comments:

  1. Great post. I have been thinking along the same lines too. With the new year, I want my home to feel fresh and new. My personal style is "a little bit of everything" too. I think the only thing I don't have in my home is contemporary decor. What is your style if you would like keeping Christmas decor, or at least Chritmas lights up in your home year round?? Can't wait for tomorrow's post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eclectic. And messy. Unfortunately, that's my style these days. But I need to update and after I put away the Christmas decor, I certainly felt a real need for change!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your time and feedback! I love hearing what everyone has to say! Have a great day! Thanks, April