Wednesday, February 23, 2011

A Modern Spin on Traditional Artwork



I guess President's Day in combination will all the history homework my daughter has been bringing home from school this month has sparked an interested in me to have sillhouettes made of my children.  You know, the very traditional black and white profile bust pictures typically in a black oval frame.  I remember seeing them all the time as a child, usually in homes belonging to friends of my grandmother's or Victorian styled homes. 

While I like the simplicity and traditional-ness (like my new word?) of the original sillhouettes, I don't have a traditionally styled home.  So that got me searching and researching...I wanted to find a sillhouette maker that could give a spin on a timeless artform. I also wanted to know the history of sillhouettes. Sillhouettes date back to the 1700s in France but really became popular in America in the 1800s.  These profile views are cut free-hand by artists, but now with technology a lot of the sillhouettes are computer generated.

Apple Blossom Print
In my search for an updated verison of the orginal Sillhouette I came across Apple Blossom Print (on www.etsy.com of course). These pieces have the traditional-styled sillhouettes with added colors, words or styling. I love the idea of adding color and your child's name to background of the artwork.      

There are very few things in life that are more precious than the profile of our sweet babies. And I don't know about you but time seems to be flying by way too fast! Lately I have been constantly trying to stop my cuties from growing, and getting bigger.  This is one way I can freeze my little loves ones in time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your time and feedback! I love hearing what everyone has to say! Have a great day! Thanks, April